Please call us for availability on this course
This course is designed to ensure that test technicians are competent to carry out fibre characterisation tasks in the field and to produce reliable results for analysis by an Engineer (CFCE).
The focus is on how to carry out the tests efficiently, and how to verify that the acquired data is valid, record results accurately and store information efficiently, because being methodical and recognising reliable results is the key to avoiding repeat visits to sites to fill in gaps or repeat measurements that were carried out incorrectly.
Although covering similar content to the CFCE course, this course concentrates on directed practical sessions
This course assumes that you have some previous experience of basic OTDR testing.
If you would like your team to focus on how to carry out the tests efficiently, and how to verify that the acquired data is valid, then have a look at the task based, technician level CFCT course.
Typical job roles of attendees include: fibre optic test engineer; technical support; project supervisor or technical staff who are responsible for trace analysis
- Recognise the different types of singlemode fibres and identify their characteristics
- Work safely when carrying out fibre characterisation tasks and awareness of AOR
- Cleaning all types of fibre optic connectors effectively
- Carry out video inspection of connector end faces and store the images
- Ccarry out insertion loss measurements, verify their validity and record the results
- Set up an OTDR correctly for optimum performance
- Analyse OTDR traces and event tables for evidence of problems
- Store OTDR traces efficiently with full information and meaningful filenames
- Carry out chromatic dispersion measurements, verify their validity and record the results
- Carry out polarisation mode dispersion measurements, verify their validity and record the results
- Carry out spectral attenuation measurements, verify their validity and record the results
The course will be assessed by means of a written examination
This course is subject to vat and is inclusive of all examination fees.
The course aims to:
Hands-on experience, utilising a practical hands-on experience using specially constructed test rigs.
In addition, delegates will receive a USB drive with extra resources including reference information and review exercises.
Delegates will also receive a comprehensive, up-to-date, indexed course manual.
You will, upon successful competition, achieve “CFCT” status
Please note: If you have responsibility for specifying test methods, purchasing test equipment, analysing the test results and producing reports then you will need the more in-depth engineer grade course (CFCE).