Advanced Fibre Practitioner
Please call us for availability on this course
As data rates increase and systems become more complex, there are more factors that can impair system performance. This course is designed to help you master the fibre optic tests that are required to prove that advanced fibre infrastructures can support high data rate applications (10Gb/s, 40Gb/s, 100Gb/s) as well as extended wavelength range operation for DWDM and CWDM systems.
Typically it is necessary to characterise fibres when dark fibre contracts are signed, to prove that the fibres will operate satisfactorily for the duration of the contract period.
You will learn to apply the full power of modern multi-purpose test platforms with their powerful array of measurement capabilities to carry out these tests including bi-directional OTDR testing, chromatic dispersion, Polarisation Mode Dispersion (PMD) and spectral attenuation. You’ll be able to process the results swiftly and efficiently, using test report software, to provide full system documentation.
By appreciating the issues behind the tests you will be able to assess link performance intelligently against application support criteria.
Please note that to undertake this course, we assume that you have some previous experience of basic OTDR testing.
Typical job roles of attendees include: fibre optic test engineer; technical support; project supervisor.
- Explain the significance of fibre specifications including G.652.A, B, C & D, G.655.x, G.656 and G.657
- Identify the characteristics of the infrastructure that can impair system performance
- Design and plan test programmes to meet customer and operational requirements
- Interpret test specifications
- Describe the purpose of OTDR & OSA testing
- Analyse OTDR traces and event tables
- Analyse OSA scans and tables
- Explain what chromatic dispersion is and how it is measured
- Master PMD and explain how it can be measured
- Perform full fibre characterisation on installed fibre systems
- Interpret the results of fibre characterisation and map against application support criteria
This course is assessed via a series of practical assessments plus a written examination
This course is subject to vat and is inclusive of all examination fees.
This course gives you a true hands-on experience, using specially constructed test rigs.
You will also receive a USB drive with extra resources including reference information and review exercises.
In addition, you will receive a comprehensive, up-to-date, indexed course manual.
With a successful pass in both assessments, you will gain Certified Fibre Characterisation Engineer (CFCE) status.